Welcome to The End Grain. Here we discuss many different industry topics, tips and tricks, explanations, education and learning opportunities around wood. We cover various topics and make mention of our Reclaimed, Recovered, and Rescued wood flooring. Choose a topic of interest below for a great read!
- Enhancing your space with architectural featuresEnhancing homes using wood as features pieces in the home has been stylists’ and homeowners’ dream for quite a long time. Time and time again, we see wood accents used in almostContinue reading “Enhancing your space with architectural features”
- Reclaimed Log Home: Uncovering HistoryRecently, we received a phone call to requesting us to go out to a site of an older home located in southwestern Ontario. When we walked up, we saw a typical brickContinue reading “Reclaimed Log Home: Uncovering History”
- Humidity: its Effect on FlooringChoosing reclaimed flooring for your home or cottage is one of the best decisions you can make. Not only does it beautifully display character and add richness to the space, it canContinue reading “Humidity: its Effect on Flooring”
- Wood Guide: Know the characteristicsNo idea where to start with choosing a wood floor? Check out our wood guide to get an insight into all the beautiful features each wood has to offer.
- Sustainability: Doing our part with the 3 R’sAt Nostalgic Wood, we believe in the ‘Three Rs’ of sustainability: Reclaimed, Recovered and Rescued. While the words have been transformed from the original, better known ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’, the overall meaningContinue reading “Sustainability: Doing our part with the 3 R’s”
- Engineered Flooring: For those tricky, temperature influenced floorsEngineered flooring is a fantastic product, especially when used in certain applications. There is occasionally misunderstanding about when is best to use Engineered Flooring. We’d like to discuss the product to helpContinue reading “Engineered Flooring: For those tricky, temperature influenced floors”
- Pre-finished versus on-site finished flooringIf you’re in the market for the perfect wood flooring for your home or cottage, you’ve probably come across a few debates about pre-finished floors versus on-site finished floors. Both options can turnContinue reading “Pre-finished versus on-site finished flooring”
- Spalted Maple: Nature’s PenmanshipSpalted maple is a highly coveted look for a beautiful accent piece. Spalting is a natural phenomenon that occurs in the early stages of wood decay. It gives the wood dark contrastingContinue reading “Spalted Maple: Nature’s Penmanship”
- Emerald Ash Borer: Destructive artists at workThe epidemic of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) in Central North America has resulted in the loss of millions of Ash trees. Entire Forests have fallen victim to this beetle. Signs ofContinue reading “Emerald Ash Borer: Destructive artists at work”
- Queen’s Wharf WoodThe Queen’s Wharf is the third and largest of the military-built wharves. It offered many uses, including connection to the railways. As a result, it was a busy industrial dock used byContinue reading “Queen’s Wharf Wood”
For more photos or up to date content, check out our Instagram Page!
Follow Our Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.